Onslow House

Onslow House

Horton House

Jamieson House

In 2015 Twilight Aged Care celebrated its centenary recognising its significant history and contribution to aged care services for communities living in Sydney’s north.

Twilight House, as the organisation was first known, was first contemplated by a group of influential women in 1911. The group raised funds, purchased and opened our first Twilight home, Onslow House in Mosman. The home provided accommodation for 20 refined, educated, professional women who found themselves in the twilight of their lives with limited means and in need of a refuge from the cold comfort of the ordinary boarding house.

As a not-for-profit organisation, we are driven by our mission to provide high quality integrated care and accommodation in our communities. Over the years we have been privileged, through our significant philanthropic connections, to have had a number of our properties bequeathed to us.

Evolution of Twilight Aged Care:

  • Jamieson House at Beecroft was opened in 1924 and is now home to 42 residents.
  • The original Horton House at Gordon opened in 1979 after being generously bestowed from the estate of Mr. Lewis Hey Sharp in 1974.
  • In 1999 Glengarry at Mosman was opened as a specially designed and built facility with 44 ensuite rooms including dementia-specific care.
  • In 2010 Twilight Aged Care acquired Glades Bay Gardens at Gladesville, which underwent a significant reconstruction and renovation during 2013-14 to provide modern self-contained aged care apartments for 41 residents.
  • In 2014 residents from Horton House Gordon relocated to leased premises at Hunters Hill whilst the facility was rebuilt. The Horton House facility at Gordon was reopened in December 2016 after a $16m refurbishment providing residents with a contemporary state-of-the-art home.
  • Hunters Hill Village provides residents with a refurbished home in the centre of the Hunters Hill Village.

Mrs Kathleen Laurie

Mr Lewis Hey Sharp

Mr Lewis Hey Sharp

Today Twilight Aged Care provides the very best of residential aged care for more than 160 men and women in our homes in northern Sydney communities and employs over 160 staff.

We acknowledge our predecessors for their generosity and vision, and look forward to continuing that work into the future as the need for aged care services changes.