October is National Safe Work Month and Twilight Aged Care is promoting safety across the organisation. Work Health and Safety (WHS) is not just about workers’ safety, it is about safety for all who enter our homes. With this in mind we are focussing our attention on prevention of falls.
Falls can happen to anyone, but as people grow older falls can become more common, and there is an increased likelihood of injury. Falls can occur anywhere and if you have a serious injury it can lead to a change in your quality of life.
What can you do to reduce the risk of falling?
What is safe footwear?
Characteristics of safe footwear include:
• Soles – thinner, firmer soles improve foot position and sensation
• Slip resistant with tread (grip)
• Heels – A low square heel improves stability
• Collar – A high and supportive collar
• Fit – Shoes should fit well and not be too loose or too tight on the foot
Remember, safe footwear is one of the easiest ways to help prevent falls.