At Twilight we pride ourselves on delivering delicious and tasty home cooked meals to our residents. Wagma the Chef from Hunters Hill Village has shared a couple of her favourite traditional recipes that are ideal to try over the Christmas break to spice up those Christmas leftovers.
Green Curry Paste
Use about 2 tablespoons of this paste for 500g meat, fish or poultry, substituting it for garlic, ginger and spices.
- 3 tbs cumin powder
- 3 tbs coriander powder
- 6 fresh green chillis
- 12 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 4 knobs of fresh ginger, walnut size
- 2 bunches of fresh coriander, chopped
- 3 tbs lemon grass, chopped
- 1/3 cup of oil
Combine all ingredients in a food processor until it forms a paste. Store in an airtight jar in refrigerator. This should last a couple of months.
- 350g red lentils
- 80g onion, chopped
- 5g of garlic, crushed
- 30ml oil
- 80g fresh tomato, peeled and chopped
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix the onion, lentils and turmeric in a pot.
- Add 2 cups of water and bring to boil. Lower the temperature and simmer for 30 minutes.
- In another pan, fry the crushed garlic, spices and fresh tomato and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add this to the lentil mixture and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with rice or Naan (Indian bread).