Twilight’s Hospitality Services Manager, Wagma Osman, shares two warming and healthy winter recipes for you to try. Happy cooking and eating!
Fish Chowder (serves 6)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 250 g bacon, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 baby fennel bulb, finely chopped, fronds reserved
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tbs plain flour
- 250 ml vegetable stock
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 200 g diced potato
- 750 ml milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 500 g skinless white fish fillets (such as blue-eye), bones and blood lines removed, flesh cut into large chunks
- 125 ml cream
- 2 tbs roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan over medium-high heat and cook the bacon, stirring, for 3-4 minutes, until it is beginning to brown. Reduce the heat to low, and then add the onion, celery, fennel and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add flour and cayenne pepper (if using) and stir until well combined. Pour in the vegetable stock and bring to the boil, then simmer over medium heat for 3 minutes or until the liquid is reduced by half. Add the potatoes, milk and bay leaf, and simmer rapidly for 15 minutes over medium heat. Stir in the fish and cream, and simmer for a further 5 minutes or until the fish is cooked through. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Serve the chowder scattered with parsley and reserved fennel fronds.
Chicken Chilli Con Carne (serves 8)
- 10 ml vegetable oil
- 100 g brown onion, finely chopped
- 5 g garlic crushed
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 500 kg chicken mince
- 400 g can Italian diced tomatoes
- 10 g tomato paste
- 100 ml water
- 450 g can red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 100 g carton light sour cream
- 3 green shallots, ends trimmed, diagonally thinly sliced
- 10 g chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes or until onion softens. Add ground cumin, ground coriander and cayenne pepper (omit pepper if cooking for kids) and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add mince chicken and cook, for 5 minutes or until it changes colour. Stir in diced tomato, tomato paste, water and kidney beans. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until mixture thickens. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, combine the sour cream, three-quarters of the green shallots and the coriander leaves in a small bowl. Taste and season with salt and pepper.