Pea & Ham Soup
• 500g green split peas
• 1 tbs olive oil
• 2 brown onions, coarsely chopped
• 3 carrots, peeled, coarsely chopped
• 3 celery sticks, ends trimmed, finely chopped
• 750g of bacon rashes finely chopped
• 3 litre chicken stock
• Season with Salt & Pepper
1. Place the split peas in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Set aside for 6 hours or overnight to soak. Drain.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot and celery and cook, uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring often or until the onion is soft. Add the split peas, bacon rashes and water. Cover and bring to the boil.
3. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer uncovered for 1 3/4 hours to 2 hours or until the soup thickens, stirring occasionally. Remove the pan from the heat.
4. Stir the soup over low heat for 4-5 minutes or until heated through. Serve with toasted Turkish bread.